Friday, January 15, 2010

I give thanks to you...

O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever.
-Psalm 86:12 If you have been following our blog for the past year then you know what the power of prayer means to me and my family. On this day, last year we were given the news that our tiny preemie had a medical condition known as craniosyntosis. ((where the sutures of the skull close prematurely)) The only remedy would be to cut from ear to ear and break open his skull to allow brain growth and development. Yes... you read correctly! We were on our way to Children's Hospital for further testing and meetings with plastic surgeons and neurosurgeons. WOW.. what a day! At that point I went straight to the Lord in prayer. Actually.. that is all that I did for weeks. I prayed over York's bed while he slept so peacefully and so perfectly. I prayed while I pumped... I prayed while we drove to doctors appointments... I prayed as I ran in the afternoons... Prayer kept me sane. I would fall to pieces talking with Wes but always kept a strong appearance for others sake. It was hard on our family and friends... they didn't know what to say. There wasn't anything to say. I assured everyone that things would be fine and that our little boy was strong and he was a fighter. Underneath that facade I was scared to death and cried myself to sleep each night. York had been home from the NICU for only 2 weeks with us when we received the unbelievable news. The weeks and months that followed were unbearable. After setting up surgery for April 12, 2009 we went in for the second set of CAT scans. The doctor called us the next day with the most amazing news. She said that the sutures of the skull had miraculously opened and that York would not need the surgery. I immediately fell to my knees. The doctor said that this was a medical mystery and she had never seen anything like it! Praise God! Unbelievable... it worked! Our family, prayer warriors, church family, and friends had done it! Wow... miracles really do happen! All of this to say... I never fail to go to God for help and comfort in the dark times of my life, yet I don't always remember him when my cup is overflowing. I seem ungrateful and I take his generosity for granted. Here we are exactly 1 year to the day and things are absolutely amazing... Life is so sweet right now. Yet do I pray to him like I did 1 year ago today? no. I am ashamed of that. He has blessed me by giving me the treasure of my heart, my family. How can I praise him enough? My new years resolution... a little late I might add... to come to our Lords feet in prayer: equally in good times and in bad.
Lord... You bring beauty, peace, and love to my existence. My heart overflows with thanksgiving.


**The picture above is from the car after we left Children's hospital. Little did we know that a miracle had happened and we would soon find out that our sweet baby would not have to undergo extensive surgery.
***If you know someone who is going through a difficult time with a new baby (preemie or not) and just needs to talk... give them my name and email. I would love to share God's amazing grace and our story. harlessev@yahoo.com

No comments: