Saturday, September 11, 2010

Once bitten - Twice Shy

Mother's Day Out -Day #2
I rushed into the Church to pick up my sweet man... as I walked up to his room I noticed the teacher was holding him. My first thought was that he was getting tired and wanted to be snuggled. The teacher gave me a concerned look and said "we had a little problem". As she turned York toward me I could see the big alligator tears in his eyes! She told me that a little girl in his class had bitten him and she was so very sorry. She said that York did not provoke her and was taken by surprise when she leaned over an feasted on his arm! She added that they have a strict biting policy and she had contacted the parent and also disciplined the child appropriately. She assured us that they would be watching this particular little girl so it doesn't happen again. I did not know what to say... The sweet skin on his little arm was purple and red and he looked up at me with sad sad eyes. I have been around children enough to know that these things happen. And it could very well be my son next time! My biggest concern was that this incident would teach York to bite when he was angry. I am hoping we can reiterate to him that we do NOT bite and it hurts! All day yesterday he would look down and say BITE...No, No, No! and point at his arm! He is such a sweetheart and I love his little disposition. It just broke my heart that he was "hurting". Although I cried like a baby as soon as I got into the car (partly hormone induced) my reaction wasn't anything like Wesley's. Remember that Wes hasn't been around little ones and was an only child... he was FURIOUS! He said "The only thing that makes it better is that it was a little girl who bit him and not a BOY.. because I would expect some retaliation then..." I on the other hand didnt care if it was a boy, girl, him, her, red, yellow, black, or white.. I don't want ANYONE hurting my child!! Good thing I didnt walk up 30 seconds earlier and actually witness the "even" because I am not so sure I would have handled it properly. Luckily a friend happened to be picking her son up at the same time and was able to help me through the intial shock!! (Thanks Lindsey) Needless-to-say we are still up in the air about our feelings toward Mother's Day Out 201o!! Below is the "wound" last night a dinner... already looking much better! Cool Dude at dinner last night with mommies glasses...

Congratulations to our cousins Logan and Drew Mouron for welcoming their first son Andrew Potter Mouron weighing 7 lbs 6 ounces!! Cant wait for York to meet his first cousin on Wesley's side!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the sobs but luckily G's MDO has carpool & she hops right out. She also has been biten before and luckily just once... poor thing was sleeping with her arm hanging out and another little one got her! MDO gets better and he will love it, even if he is in a class with biters and cry babies! ;)

The Harless Family said...

Thanks Morgan! I need some positive reinforcement now!! Hope you are enjoying sweet baby Gaines!

AFlurry said...

Evan I can't even tell you how many times Carter has gotten bit at school & he has not once ever bitten or tried to bite (as far as I know) another child. I was SO worried about that too!! Things will get better. :)